This recipe could be a main course if served with a salad, but if you are having a buffet why not put it on the table and let your guests help themselves. In any case put some nice French bread beside it for dipping! As this is THE season, you will not necessarily receive a new recipe EVERY Monday. In sending these a bit early I hope it helps with your holiday planning!
THAI STEAMED MUSSELS
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 T fresh grated ginger
- 1 Thai chili, finely chopped
- 3 stalks lemon grass sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 lb.PEI mussels bearded and scrubbed OR buy a bag already to go…
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped coriander
- salt and pepper
Heat vegetable in wok. Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ginger, chili and lemon grass, crushed coriander and orange zest. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, juices and mussels. Cover and steam over medium heat for 5-7 minutes (more if using frozen mussels). Remove from heat immediately and stir in chopped coriander, salt and pepper.
Frozen mussels will lengthen steaming time.
Serve with crusty bread…the sauce is great for dipping.