I know. I know. TWO recipes in one week. With the upcoming long weekend I wanted to share this with everyone because it is so great for a group if you increase the quantities. We love cold soup and this one I found in Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine that I was going to throw out…yikes! It is incredible!!!!!!!
Andrea Reusing’s Spicy BLT Soup (as found in Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food Magazine Issue 84)
Comments in red are mine as usual.
- 2 pounds assorted tomatoes, roughly chopped (I used 3 average tomatoes so it would be thicker)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 small cucumber, roughly chopped
- 2 medium Fresno chilies or jalapenos, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Chopped Egg and Garlic Vinaigrette (see below)
- Croutons, crumbled cooked bacon, and sliced lettuce (We bought some of the Hormel pre-cooked bacon at Costco and I used that slightly re-heated in the microwave for 45 seconds).
- Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/4 teaspoon salt; let sit 10 minutes. In a blender, combine tomatoes, cucumber, chilies, onion, garlic, vinegar, bread, oil, and sugar and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing on solids; discard solids. (For a thicker soup, do NOT sieve it). Cover soup and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours (or up to 3 days). Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with a drizzle of vinaigrette and desired toppings.
Chopped Egg and Garlic Vinaigrette
Separate the whites and yolks of 2 hard cooked extra-large eggs. In a small bowl mash the yolks and stir in 1 clove of garlic, mashing into the paste 1 T. finely grated lemon zest plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil.
Roughly chop the egg whites into the soup before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but as a main course, it really makes two servings for lunch.
2 thoughts on “Andrea’s Spicy BLT Soup (aka Tomato Gazpacho)”
sounds yummy! I bet it would be good hot too…
Might be a problem with the lettuce wilting???? But it was incredible enough that I am making it again tomorrow!!!!