Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili with Quinoa
This recipe came to me via my friend’s blog “Learning Nutrition with Me“. The link is at the bottom of the page you are viewing.
Since you know we eat a lot of quinoa, and we had the beans and sweet potatoes, I decided to give it a try. It was great!!
As always, my changes are in red!
Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa Chili with Smoked Chipotle (via LNWM)
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4-6
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce ( I just used regular Tabasco since I did not have the chipotle version)
- salt, to taste
- 1 can (15.5 oz) low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (this made it really thick, so adjust downwards)
- 2 can black beans (15.5 oz), drained (I left the juice in there)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock, plus more to thin if desired
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce, plus more if desired
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and salt; saute for 5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add the entire can of tomato sauce to the pot. Next add the black beans, vegetarian broth, all spices, and quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium, add diced sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Make the smoked chipotle yogurt – combine tabasco sauce, honey, and dijon mustard in a medium bowl.
- Spoon chili into bowls and add yogurt sauce on top. Enjoy!
Posted on October 21, 2012, in Main Dishes, Soups, Vegan and tagged black beans, carrots, chicken broth, chili, chipotle, cumin, dijon mustard, garlic, Greek yogurt, honey, low sodium, onions, quinoa, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turmeric. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.