This recipe came to me via my friend’s blog “Learning Nutrition with Me“. The link is at the bottom of the page you are viewing.
Since you know we eat a lot of quinoa, and we had the beans and sweet potatoes, I decided to give it a try. It was great!!
As always, my changes are in red!
Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa Chili with Smoked Chipotle (via LNWM)
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4-6
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce ( I just used regular Tabasco since I did not have the chipotle version)
- salt, to taste
- 1 can (15.5 oz) low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (this made it really thick, so adjust downwards)
- 2 can black beans (15.5 oz), drained (I left the juice in there)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock, plus more to thin if desired
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce, plus more if desired
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and salt; saute for 5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add the entire can of tomato sauce to the pot. Next add the black beans, vegetarian broth, all spices, and quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium, add diced sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Make the smoked chipotle yogurt – combine tabasco sauce, honey, and dijon mustard in a medium bowl.
- Spoon chili into bowls and add yogurt sauce on top. Enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili with Quinoa”
Sounds intriguing! Have you found greek yogurt here?
Sounds really yummy and healthy – going to give it a try!
Not really, but I sometimes use Jocoque….
I made this and everyone loved it, I don’t think the meat eaters even noticed there wasn’t any meat in this fantastic chili!! Loved it and will definitely make it again Dad!