Cajun Bread Pudding with Warm Praline Sauce
Larry adapted this from Taste of Home and it was incredible with the addition of the rum and peel! The secret is in the dried French bread cubes!!!
Cajun Bread Pudding Recipe (Taste of Home)
Adapted by Larry with the red ingredients….
- Prep: 20 min. + soaking Bake: 45 min. Yield: 12 Servings
- 4-3/4 cups milk, divided OR 2 cups whipping cream + 2 cups evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 11 cups cubed French bread (1-inch cubes) baked in 250 degree oven until dry!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch of ground clove and nutmeg
- 2/3 cup golden raisins, optional
- 2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans, optional
- 1 cup of candied citrus peel
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 cups of ‘milk’ until warm; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and remaining milk. Gradually add warmed milk, stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Add bread cubes; let soak 10 minutes. Add cinnamon, and raisins and/or pecans if desired.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- For sauce, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar; stir to dissolve. Add corn syrup and cream. Bring to boil; cook 15-20 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans, vanilla, butter and salt. Cut pudding into squares and serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.