Must be the cold weather here (a chilly 23 degrees C) that makes me crave soup…LOL. Was looking for a quick lunch the other day and noticed we had canned pumpkin. Since I love almost all things Thai I thought I would try this one. I loved it but Larry thought it was a little sweet with the brown sugar and coconut milk. Guess next time I’ll cut down on the sugar…and maybe add pieces of real Thai chili…FYI – I skipped the peanut butter option!
Thai Pumpkin Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 4
A tasty Thai inspired pumpkin and coconut soup that that takes less than 15 minutes to make!
• 2 tablespoons red curry paste
• 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
• 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
• 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree or 4 cups homemade pumpkin puree
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar (okay Larry I will cut this back!)
• 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about a minute.
2. Add the broth, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Note: If you want to start with raw pumpkin, get two small 3 pound pumpkins, peel them, seed them, cut them into 1 inch cubes, add to the coconut milk and broth and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15-20 minutes, before pureeing.
Option: Use another sweet winter squash like butternut squash instead of pumpkin.
Option: Add 1/4 cup peanut butter! Try it, you’ll love it!
2 thoughts on “Thai Pumpkin Soup”
Hi Reg Where do you buy red curry paste, the soup sounds delicious. Brenda
In my cupboard…LOL…but it is available at many stores in Merida…..