Crock Pot Orange Chicken
• 1½ pounds boneless chicken, cut in 2-inch chunks or slivers
• ½ cup flour
• ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
• ½ cup milk
• 1 egg
• 2 TB olive oil (I prefer peanut oil)
• 1 TB kosher salt
• 6 ounces (1/2 can) frozen orange juice concentrate (no pulp), thawed
• 3 TB brown sugar
• 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
• 3 TB ketchup
• 6 ounces (other 1/2 can) orange juice concentrate
one green onion chopped
1. In a small bowl mix egg and milk.
2. In a separate bowl, mix your flour and panko. In 5-10 piece batches, soak chicken chunks in milk mixture then in flour mixture, Repeat this twice.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil on the stove and brown your chicken on all sides. You will not be fully cooking the chicken, just giving it a nice coat. Place the chicken pieces into your slow cooker
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/2 of the orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste. Pour sauce evenly over the chicken, and carefully toss to coat.
5. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 to 4*. Serve warm over the rice of your choice.
6. Just before finishing add the remainder of the orange juice and continue to heat.
Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
I found that this recipe was actually done in a little over 1 ½ hours on LOW. Maybe its because I am at sea level…LOL