Fennel, Granny Smith Apple and Pecorino Salad
He is back! We are finally here again after our long trip away where we ate too much and drank too much wine…LOL. We did pick up some great new recipes which I will be sharing with you in the coming weeks. This first one was prepared by our good friend, Carole, up in Sault Ste.Marie, Ontario. I am not a great fennel fan, but this was very tasty and not strong on the fennel taste. If you are a GREAT fan of fennel use the 2 bulbs called for…we however only used one smallish one.
Fennel, Granny Smith Apple and Pecorino Romano Salad
- 1 or 2 medium fennel bulbs (according to your love of fennel)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- About 1½ ounces pecorino Romano, shaved with a vegetable peeler (½ cup shavings)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chop off the fronds where they meet the body of one fennel bulb. Halve the fennel, then thinly slice it, using a mandolin or a very sharp, thin-bladed chef’s knife. Repeat with the other bulb. You should have 2 cups of slices. Set them aside. Chop 1 tablespoon of the fronds and set it aside separately. Discard the remaining fronds.
- Put the fennel and apple slices in a bowl. Add the pecorino Romano, lemon zest, ¼ cup olive oil, and parsley. Toss gently. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the salad on a large, chilled serving plate. Drizzle more olive oil generously over the top, and scatter with the chopped fennel fronds just before serving.
- If you can’t find pecorino Romano cheese, or simply prefer Parmigiano-Reggiano, by all means substitute it.
- Crisp, sweet pears, such as Bosc, are a good autumnal replacement for the apples.
Posted on September 17, 2016, in Pinterest, Salads, Side Dishes, Vegan and tagged extra virgin olive oil, fennel, Granny Smith apples, lemon zest, parsley, Pecorino Romano, pepper, salt. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.