Took this recipe off of Pinterest – Mom on Timeout, since I had all of the ingredients at hand and felt like a lazy dinner. I am not a fan of BBQ sauce so I omitted it entirely at first. I also changed the amount of beans as you can see by the red… My slow cooker often seems to cook in less time, so I checked it after 3 hours and it was done as well as I like it.
Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Barbecue Beans (Author: Trish – Mom On Timeout)
- 2 large can black beans, drained and rinsed (originally 2 – 15 oz. cans)
- 1 15.8 oz. Great Norther beans, drained and rinsed (instead of two)
- 1 15.25 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (omitted and it made no appreciable difference)
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- ½ lb. bacon, cooked, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 lbs. Kielbasa, cut into bite size pieces (or less)
- In a large slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except for the kielbasa and stir gently to combine.
- Place the kielbasa on top and cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours. (I found it was done on low after 3 hours and kept it on warm for 2 more).
I recommend the low setting for this recipe because on high, the beans tend to get dried out. If you need to cook on high due to time constraints, monitor the beans and add more broth or water if necessary.