Looking for a great Easter side dish? Buy that half head of cabbage and start frying. This is an excellent side and you can substitute turkey bacon if you prefer. It reheats beautifully.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onions and Garlic
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium head of white cabbage, trimmed, cored and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- The following to taste:
- salt, black pepper, onion and garlic powder, paprika
- a knob of butter (optional)
- dill weed (to taste)
Heat a skillet and then cook the bacon rashers over medium heat until just crisp. remove and set aside on paper kitchen towelling to drain. Crumble and keep warm.
Add the onion to the bacon drippings. (Over here our bacon is very lean so there wasn’t many. If you find that is the case, add a small splash of olive or rapeseed oil.)
Cook, stirring to soften. when it begins to caramelize somewhat add the garlic. Cook and stir until fragrant. Add the diced carrot.
Add the cabbage. Cook, tossing and stirring, until the cabbage begins to soften. Season to taste with the seasonings.
Add 60ml (1/4 cup) of water and cover. Cook and steam over low heat until the cabbage has softened. Stir in the bacon crumbles. Taste and adjust seasoning as required. If desired stir in a knob of butter. Serve hot.