Quite a while back I had posted a KETO lasagna recipe using zucchini zoodles. Now that we are Keto Conscious I have given myself a little more leeway with what we eat. But…this recipe is really still Keto but assembled in a little different manner, for those who do not own a spiralizer! It was great with a few different ingredients.
Oven Ready in 9 x 13 pan
- 3 large zucchinis
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 24-ounce jar marinara or Bolognese sauce
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- fresh basil garnish
- Trim both ends off the zucchini.
- Use a mandolin to cut the zucchini into 1/8-inch slices. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini slices, then lay them out on a layer of paper towels to drain. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Pat the tops of the zucchini slices with paper towels until dry.
- While the zucchini is resting, prepare the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking the meat up with a spatula, until beef is browned and cooked through.
- Add the onion and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, Italian seasoning, egg, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2- or 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the dish. Add 1/3 of the zucchini slices on top. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini then top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, then let stand for 5-7 minutes. Cut into slices, then serve.