For a great summer lunch try this chilled asparagus with some salmon poached in wine. I usually do the salmon with cold green beans (blanched), but not having found any at Costco, I went for using asparagus, which I believe you northerners are seeing IN SEASON. We started the meal with a cold strawberry soup ( which is somewhere on this blog if you do a search). The great thing about this meal is that you can easily prepare it all in the morning and just plate it up when company arrives.
Chilled Asparagus with Citrus Dressing
- 1-pound asparagus, woody ends cut off
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Juice of an orange
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add in the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Immediately remove the asparagus from the boiling water and place it into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
4. Once the asparagus has cooled remove it from the water, blot it dry with a towel, and place it in a large bowl.
5. In a glass measuring cup combine the remaining ingredients (everything from zest down to pepper) and whisk together to form the citrus vinaigrette.
6. Pour the desired amount of vinaigrette over the asparagus and toss to coat.
7. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, then top with a little more salt and pepper.