It’s the weekend and BBQ time and or light lunch/dinner. Prepare this tangy coleslaw early, refrigerate and you are all set. Try some of the add-ons to stretch the recipe. For a faster prep, buy the already shredded coleslaw at your favourite market!
For the Slaw:
- 1 head cabbage, shredded; or about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of packaged shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar to taste (actually 1/2 cup is sufficient)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Combine shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix with the sliced onion in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the stove.
- Pour the hot dressing over the cabbage and toss well to coat.
- Cool the coleslaw slightly, cover, and then refrigerate until serving time.