My apologies for not posting last week, as I was undergoing surgery and was convalescing at home as per doctor’s orders. It fell to my spouse to be the chief cook and bottle washer, among providing nursing care! I am back on my feet and back in the kitchen once again!
This weeks recipe is fairly simple, just broccoli and mushrooms as a side dish for some wonderful sausage with spinach and feta (COSTCO). A simple dish to prepare… If I were to make this again, I would add some chopped cooked bacon!
Brussel Sprouts and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 500 grams cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed, washed, and halved
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
4 large eggs, optional*
1. Add the olive oil, butter, mushrooms, onions, salt, and ground black pepper to a heavy-bottomed frying pan or skillet. Over medium heat, cook the mushrooms and onions until the mushrooms have browned -about 15 minutes.
2. Next, add the dried thyme, garlic, sprouts, and mustard. Stir to combine with the mushrooms. Allow the sprouts to sear and caramelize – about 15 minutes.
3. *While the sprouts are cooking, you can fry the eggs, sunnyside-up, if you are adding a fried egg to the top of your serving. Otherwise, skip this step.