Whenever I travel back to Ontario , I usually have breakfast in Waterloo where I can have corned beef hash with two poached eggs. The best place for this is Sunset Grill (a chain with several locations in Ontario). I am never disappointed! Here in Mexico, corned beef is rarely, if ever, found. Never have I found corned beef hash on a breakfast menu! Recently, I have found corned beef in Costco, which sent me on a mission to find a recipe for the hash. It really turned out better than my expectations. Hopefully you will try this recipe if you are also a fan? While the hash is cooking, prepare two poached eggs.
Corned Beef Hash
- 1 cup potato cooked, chopped. If raw, microwave potatoes 3 minutes on high
- 1 cup corn beef cooked, chopped
- 0.5 small onion chopped or grated
- 0.5 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- 0.13 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
1. Heat a skillet to medium and add butter
2. When the butter has melted, add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
3. While the onions are sauteing, mix corned beef, potatoes, and spices together in a bowl.
4. When the onions are translucent, add contents of the bowl to the skillet and increase to medium-high heat.
5. Stir to combine fully and cook for about 5 minutes until the hash starts to brown.
6. Using a spatula, pat mixture down firmly and cook for 7-10 minutes until it starts to form a crispy crust.
7. Flip the hash by either cutting into sections and turning each or place a plate upon the hash and holding the plate firmly, flip the pan onto the plate then slide the whole hash back into the pan.
8. Cook the other side for 7-10 minutes until hash has a crispy crust.
9. Remove from the heat to a serving platter. Top with the two eggs.
10. Serve hot, season with salt and pepper to taste.