One of our close friends has decided that he would stay away from meat for awhile. It just so happened that he was coming for dinner one Sunday! For anyone else that might have someone like this in their lives, this recipe fit the bill and it tasted great! Who needs meat? It comes together fairly quickly and I was able to prepare it the day before and just refrigerate it until just before he arrived on Sunday. Bring the casserole out of the refrigerator 30 minutes of so before placing in the oven!
- 16 oz. package lasagna noodles
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large zucchini (cut in half (lengthwise) and sliced)
- ¾ cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- ¾ cup onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. jars pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 15 oz. container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare the Lasagna according to package directions!
2. Add olive oil to a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms, green peppers, zucchini, onion and garlic and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce and dried basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Mix together ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and eggs.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch dish. Spread 1 cup pasta sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Layer lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, and sauce (in that order). Repeat layering, and top with remaining cups mozzarella cheese.
10. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.