Category Archives: Sheet Pan Dinners
Who expects to find butternut squash in summer, let alone summer in MEXICO? Walking into our favourite grocery store in Merida, Yucatan, there were TWO just waiting for us…at the door! No others in sight…was I dreaming? Nope, snatched ’emup fast.
You northerners can watch for them later. This recipe was a keeper. How can you say no to maple syrup and Dijon mustard?
Sheet Pan Maple Dijon Chicken with Roasted Butternut Squash
- 4 chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash, uncooked, peeled and cubed into 1- or 2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet (line it with aluminum foil, as it can be runny)
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk maple syrup and Dijon mustard.
- Dip each chicken thigh on both sides into maple-Dijon mixture and place on a prepared baking sheet, skin side up, leaving space between all chicken thighs.
- Add cubed butternut squash into the same bowl with the remaining maple-Dijon mixture, mix to coat, and add butternut squash on the baking sheet around the chicken, in one layer. If you run out of maple-Dijon mixture, whisk a little bit more.
- Roast for 30 or 40 minutes at 450 F, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through.
The original recipe called for adding Brussel sprouts, but I had some leftover fresh asparagus. They didn’t turn out as I had hoped….