Bonus day today as I have two similar recipes, one of which originated from our “sister” Jean in Peterborough, Ontario. She served it while we were visiting for her sons wedding in August. It has a great fresh taste when served with tortilla chips.
The second I ran across while waiting for Jeans recipe to arrive. The ingredients are very similar, with the exception of the avocado and the dressing.
- Corn and Black Bean Dip from Jean Johnston
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2cup olive oil
1 tbsp water
1 can lentils
1 can corn
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup each celery, green pepper and green onion
Jar of pimento ( I used red pepper because I didn’t have any pimento)
I added a few fresh spices. Her daughter suggested adding fresh cilantro which makes sense.
Mix all together and soak for at least 3 hours. Drain and serve.
2. Black Bean, Corn and Avocado Dip
Prep time: 15 minutes Yield: 20 servings Serving size: 1/4 cup
- 15 oz can black beans, drained + rinsed
- 15 oz can yellow corn, drained + rinsed
- 2 avocados, cut in half, pitted + cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Let me know if you try either of these at your next event…