After finally getting together all of the ingredients to make MY OWN peameal bacon, I was ready to savour the flavour of a peameal bacon roast! For those not familiar with peameal bacon, it is an Eastern Canadian thing. A pork loin is brined for 5 days and rolled in a crust of cornmeal and placed in the refrigerator for a few days before slicing OR freezing for future use. If any of you are interested in the recipe for making your own peameal bacon, drop me a line. For now here is the roast recipe…
Maple Peameal Bacon Roast
- 1 – 3 1/2 lb. peameal bacon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C
- Cut six 1 inch slits across the roast. Place on a rack in a large rimmed baking pan lined with foil.
- Combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard, rosemary, salt and pepper. Brush the mixture over the roast.
- Bake in centre of oven for 25 minutes and baste with remaining mixture.
- Bake for another 50 minutes OR until thermometer registers 130 F/55 C
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Makes a great dinner with some roasted vegetables of mashed potatoes and a side dish of green beans!
The salmon recipe was awesome, but I really did not enjoy the salsa. I will search out a different low carb one asap. Try it! You might like it…LOL. I have shown it here with the cauliflower rice. The salmon is buried underneath the salsa…sorry.
Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
2 lbs. salmon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp ancho chili powder (used regular)
1 tsp black pepper
Avocado salsa ingredients:
1 avocado, chopped
½ small red onion, chopped
Juice from 2 limes
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
dash of salt
1. In a small mixing bowl combine salt, cumin, paprika, onion powder, ancho chili powder and black pepper.
2. Rub the salmon fillets with the olive oil and rub with the spice mix.
3. Grill the salmon on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes or until desired doneness.
4. Mix the avocado, red onion, chopped cilantro, salt and juice from the limes in a small mixing bowl. Top the salmon with the avocado salsa.
Recipe by The Recipe Critic at https://therecipecritic.com/2014/07/grilled-salmon-avocado-salsa/
Think this is great for all of you vegans…right Jaromey?
Brown Rice Salad
- For the salad
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup cashews or 1⁄2 cup peanuts
- For the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- black pepper
- Cook brown rice until tender, allow to cool.
- To prepare the dressing put the ingredients into a large jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well. Put aside.
- In a large bowl add the rice and all other salad ingredients.
- Pour over the dressing and mix through. The flavours improve on standing as the rice soaks in the dressing. Enjoy!