Great menu idea for a single person. It’s amazing how good the baked avocado tastes!
Baked Eggs in Avocado with Bacon, on Toast
Yield: Serves 2 Total Time: 30 min Recipe adapted from CA Avocado Commission.
- 1 medium or large avocado
- 2 small eggs
- 2 sliced of bacon, cooked then crumbled (consider using the Ready Cooked bacon)
- 2 slices of toast
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, optional
- fresh chopped tomatoes, optional
- cumin (these three items are our friend Naomi’s suggestions)
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Crack the eggs in a medium bowl, careful to not puncture the yolks. Set aside.
I used an egg separator to first separate the yolks and whites!
- Cut avocado in half and carefully remove seed. Leave it in the skin. Depending on how big the seed is, the hole in the avocado should be big enough for one small egg. But if the hole looks too small, scoop out a little at a time till it matches the amount of egg.
- In a medium baking dish, (sprayed with a little oil) try to rest the avocado half inside the edge of the dish so that the avocado doesn’t tilt over. You need to keep the avocado from tilting so that the raw egg does not spill out.
- You can crack the egg directly in the avocado, but it might overflow and make a mess. Place the yolks in the avocado first and then add enough whites to fill each hole. Add salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and cumin on top of the eggs, to taste.
- Top with bacon pieces…
- Gently place the baking dish in oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on how much egg you have and how big your avocado is. So keep checking the egg to see if it’s cooked to your desired consistency. My eggs took 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.(unless it was baked WITH the bacon). Spread the avocado/egg onto toast. Add addition salt and pepper to taste, chopped tomatoes, hot sauce, sour cream and cilantro if needed. Enjoy!