I am sure that I am not alone on Pinterest when I find a great recipe, make it, eat it and FORGET TO TAKE A PHOTO!!! Such is the case with me again. Nevertheless, it turned out great! Trust me!!!
Southern Fried Cabbage
- 6 slices bacon cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds cabbage chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or more to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes optional, to taste
Sauté the bacon in a heavy skillet until crispy.
Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside.
Spoon off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
Add the onions to the skillet and sauté until they just begin to become translucent.
Add the cabbage and garlic; sauté, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and seasoned salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it is as tender as you like and the liquid has mostly evaporated.
Stir in the bacon and serve.
It’s the weekend and BBQ time and or light lunch/dinner. Prepare this tangy coleslaw early, refrigerate and you are all set. Try some of the add-ons to stretch the recipe. For a faster prep, buy the already shredded coleslaw at your favourite market!
For the Slaw:
- 1 head cabbage, shredded; or about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of packaged shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar to taste (actually 1/2 cup is sufficient)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Combine shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix with the sliced onion in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the stove.
- Pour the hot dressing over the cabbage and toss well to coat.
- Cool the coleslaw slightly, cover, and then refrigerate until serving time.
I made this version of Egg Roll in a Bowl last year and have been using it ever since while we were on the Keto Diet. It is great, but I have recently come across this one which uses a Mr. Lucky Mini Flakes of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. It’s far easier than chopping up all that cabbage…LOL.
The original recipe from Tasha Metcalf with the cabbage is below.
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl Tasha Metcalf
Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Servings 6
- 1-pound ground pork OR chicken
- 1 head cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ onion medium, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks of green onion
Brown ground pork in a large pan or wok over medium heat.
Ensure cabbage and onion is thinly sliced into long strands. Use a spiralizer to cut the vegetables for quickest results.
Add sesame oil and onion to pan with browned ground pork. Mix together and continue cooking over medium heat.
Mix soy sauce, garlic, and ground ginger together in a small bowl. Once onions have browned, add the sauce mixture to the pan.
Immediately add the cabbage mixture to the pan and toss to coat the vegetable and evenly distribute ingredients. Add chicken broth to the pan and mix. Continue cooking over medium heat for three minutes, stirring frequently.
Garnish with salt, pepper, and green onion.
- Calories 268
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 18g 28%
- Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%
- Protein 15g 30%
- * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.