How to dress up a can of Campbell’s Tomato Soup for company? This recipe turned out well, but alas, I did not take a photo. You will just have to trust me…LOL
Elevated Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- 1 Cup Fresh Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Dried Bread Cubes (I use the ones meant for stuffing)
- 1 Can Tomato Soup
- 1 Can of Chicken Broth (I pour my chicken broth into the tomato soup can after pouring the tomato soup out.)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Chopped Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Chopped Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
I recommend using 3 or 4 (depending on size) Ramekins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl toss together bread cubes, 1/3 cup of the shredded cheese, pinch of salt and pepper. Set off to the side.
- In a large bowl whisk together the tomato soup, chicken broth, basil, thyme, and vinegar until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the bread cube mixture among the ramekins or fill the entire bottom of the circular casserole dish you plan on using.
- Next you want to evenly distribute the soup mixture among the ramekins or slowly ladle over the bread cubes in a singular casserole dish.
- Use the rest of the remaining cheese to float on top of the soup mixture, by slowly sprinkling it onto the soup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10minutes, then switch to a low broil and allow to cook until the cheese becomes golden brown and bubbly (about 5 minutes in our oven, but this can happen quickly so watch carefully to be sure).
Keeping with the nostalgia mood from last week, here is another favourite recipe from my youth, which I recently found in an old Campbell’s Soup cookbook. For more SOUP-rising recipes, follow this link –
Campbell’s Tomato Soup Spice Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup water
Cream Cheese Frosting (Store Bought works)
How to Make It
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13×9-inch baking pan.
- Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves in a large bowl. Add the soup, shortening, eggs and water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed just until blended. Increase the speed to high and beat for 4 minutes. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Frost with the Cream Cheese Frosting.