Just in time for your Thanksgiving dinner! Make ahead and refrigerate. Serve as your first course!
Thai Style Chicken Pumpkin Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. minced fresh ginger
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 15 ounce can pumpkin
- ½ cup mango nectar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup peanut butter (or more)
- 1 liter low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about three minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Transfer chicken to crock pot. Add celery, carrots, pumpkin, nectar, lime juice, peanut butter, broth and water. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours,
After the time is up, stir in the following –
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Mix ½ cup heavy cream and 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch together.Stir into soup and turn cooker to HIGH for 10 minutes or less until soup thickens.
Serve over white rice which has been previously cooked. Sprinkle with more chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts.
Source – Crock-Pot Best Loved Slow Cooker Recipes.
This recipe is quick and tasty…
Glazed Balsamic Chicken (Canadian Living)
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil (do NOT use olive oil as it heats too quickly)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crumbled dried sage or rosemary
• 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
• 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
• In shallow dish or plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken and turn or shake to coat.
• In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; fry chicken, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 12 minutes. Remove to plate and keep warm.
• Add remaining oil to pan; cook garlic and sage just until golden, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with any remaining flour; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in stock, vinegar and honey; cook until thickened enough to coat back of spoon.
• Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan, turning to coat; cook until chicken is glazed, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with parsley.