Amazingly, as I write this I note that is recipe#450! Outside today (August 19) the skies are sunny here in our part of Mexico, but the winds are beginning to howl with the approach of Hurricane Grace. Thankfully, it will pass south of us, but we still expect winds and rain.
Rarely do we see acorn squash in our part of Mexico; for that matter, we rarely see butternut squash or spaghetti squash. Whenever we find them, we grab them up! This latest squash recipe, incorporating sweet potatoes, is awesome!
Creamy Baked Acorn Squash
If you need to feed four people,use two acorn squash…
- 1 large acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream OR coconut milk with cream
- 5-6 sprigs of thyme
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for the sweet potatoes only (optional)
- 1/4 cup hard cheese like: parmesan, pecorino Romano (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare squash and sweet potatoes. If using the sweet potatoes, drizzle the olive oil over the tops of them. Place in baking dish. Add heavy cream, salt, pepper and thyme to the center of the acorn squash. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and grate cheese over the top. Bake an additional 20 minutes of until squash is soft. Bake uncovered.
Buen provecho amigos!