Sunday at noon we usually head off to the symphony. Before we go I like to get a head start on dinner! Et voila…slow cooker….. This recipe was served by our friend, Kitti, and with or without the chorizo it was great. Serve with your preference of rice or maybe with quinoa. I think it wold also make an awesome spaghetti sauce!
SLOW COOKER EGGPLANT WITH CHORIZO AND TOMATOES
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 eggplant sliced
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can of tomato sauce6 to 8 cut up Roma tomatoes
- lots of garlic
- 1 chopped red pepper
- browned chorizo or sausage pieces (omit if you want a vegan dish)
- fresh baby arugula ( a handful)
Brown the chorizo in olive oil . Remove and place on a paper towel.
Add onion, garlic, and eggplant to frypan. Cook, stirring often (about 5 minutes).
Stir in the tomatoes, sauce and paste. Cook 5 minutes more.
Add seasonings: cumin- salt-pepper- OPTIONAL cayenne pepper.
Place all ingredients into the slow cooker, stirring well. Top with a handful of the arugula.
Cover and cook on high for two hours or less.
Just before serving add more arugula to the individual dishes.
Just found this recipe and it was very good….if you are not a shrimp lover, just omit it!
Slow Cooker Jambalaya (photo taken from http://www.dinnermequickly.com/chicken-sausage-jambalaya.html
Revised from a recipe by Robin Miller
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced ( or whatever sausage you like, depending on hotness)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning (I used Montreal Steak Spice…one teaspoon)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound frozen peeled and cooked shrimp, thawed
- 2 cups cooked rice
In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, red pepper, celery, and chicken broth. Stir in oregano, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, and thyme. (If you want it hot, add a little hot sauce)
Cover, and cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. Stir in the thawed shrimp, cover and cook until the shrimp is heated through, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves and spoon mixture over cooked rice.