Needing a great salad for a change? Both of these dressings are incredible and cheaper than the bottled stuff! Sorry, no photos today…
Keto 5 Minute Caesar Dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons anchovy paste (I substitute equal amount of fish oil when anchovy paste is not available)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about ½ a lemon)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Nutrition per 2 Tablespoon – Calories 140, Fat 15g, Carbs 0.8 Protein0.1g.
Keto Garlic Dressing
Servings 16 (of 2 tbsp)
- 4-6 Cloves garlic
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper To taste
- (Optional) Fresh herbs (I used parsley)
Making the Keto Garlic Salad Dressing is really simple! – Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until it’s creamy and smooth. You can start with 4 cloves of garlic and add more after you taste the dressing, if you feel like it’s not strong enough.
Nutrition – Calories 123, Fat 13.5g, Carbs 0.5g, Protein 0.1g
Well maybe an overstatement, as I am still looking for the BEST one…LOL. In the interim I tried this one and was quite happy with it overall. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated as I approach 14000 views on this blog!! Thanks to all of you have stopped by… here is the result with chicken thighs…
Best Chicken Marinade Ever
- 6 Chicken breasts or 3.5 lb. chicken
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Rosemary, dried
- 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1/8 cup Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Black pepper, ground
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar ( I cut this back to 1/4 cup so not so sweet)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Olive oil, extra virgin
- Combine all ingredients, except for chicken, in a large Pyrex measuring cupor mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Remove a half a cup of marinade and reserve for basting the chicken later.
- Place chicken in a large, Ziploc bagand pour marinade over the top. Close securely.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat and lightly oil the grates.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off.
- Grill chicken for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Baste the chicken occasionally with the reserved marinade.
- Remove chicken from grill and tent with foil. Let chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before serving
We first had this in Paris, France at Fouquet on the Champs d’Elysee and subsequently in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico at the wonderful Merci Restaurant. Merci is better with their homemade bread! Trust me! Below is the version I use at home.
A Croque-Monsieur is the French answer to the grilled cheese sandwich. Gruyere cheese, ham, and bread are topped with a creamy Béchamel sauce.
Preparation Time: 7 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 12 minutes
8 slices whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dijon mustard for spreading
4 slices ham
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (you can also use Emmenthal or other Swiss-style cheese)
OPTIONAL – 4 eggs
Toast the bread until lightly browned on one side.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until thick and bubbly. Gradually whisk in the milk, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Whisk in the paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce warm while your assemble the sandwiches.
Lay four slices of bread, toasted side down on a broiler pan. Brush each one with Dijon mustard, to taste. Lay one slice of ham on each piece . Divide 1/2 cup cheese among the four sandwiches. Top with the second slice of bread, toastier side up. Divide the sauce among the four sandwiches, spreading it over the top. Add one fried egg per sandwich. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the sandwiches.
Broil until the cheese is melted and the tops are bubbly and brown, five minutes or more in my toaster oven. Watch it carefully; yours may be different. Serve immediately.
I like to serve it with a small salad or grilled asparagus.
Link to recipe: http://goodcheapeats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-a-croque-monsieur/
My sister-in-law made great baked beans! This recipe is very similar to hers but she skipped cooking the beans and used canned beans to cut the cooking time. So do I.
Boston Baked Beans
2 large cans baked beans
1 cup bacon chopped
1large onion chopped
1stalk celery chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Mix all Ingredients in a large casserole dish. Microwave 30 minutes on medium until bacon and celery are cooked.
Alternately bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until bacon is cooked.
Best if cooled and refrigerated and then reheated just before dinner.
A truly summer salad! If you are not into making your own dressings, buy a similar raspberry balsamic one at the store. This salad both looks and tastes great!!
Strawberry and Avocado Spinach Salad in Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Servings: 2
• 1 (5 ounce) package baby spinach
• 2 cups strawberries, sliced
• 1 avocado, diced
• 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
• 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
• 1/4 cup raspberry white balsamic vinaigrette (* see below)
1. Assemble salad, toss in dressing and enjoy!
Option: Goat cheese or feta also work well in place of the blue cheese.
Option: I like to throw in some fresh peas when available in spring.
- Raspberry White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 5 minutes Servings: 1cup
• 1/2 cup raspberries fresh (or thawed frozen)
• 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Mash the raspberries and mix everything. 2. Pour over your favourite summer salad…
I know..comfort food in the spring??? This one is for our friends in Newfoundland where it is still snowing in May…ugh…
Classic Meatloaf & Sauce (modified from Food Network)
1/2 lb.each lean ground beef and pork
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onion
1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, tomato paste, onions, green pepper, oats, egg, salt, and pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through, about 1 hour. Serve hot.
From my childhood days I remember how great meatloaf is cold too!
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/aunt-peggys-meat-loaf-recipe.html?oc=linkback
The only recipe I ever knew placed the pork chops on top and they always were too well cooked! This method probably originated when there were all the concerns about pork not being well cooked. Fortunately, I came across three different recipes that changed this arrangement. These turned out very well and the liquid went all the way through to keep the chops moist.
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons flour
14 oz. chicken broth
6 pork chops not too thin
6 cups thinly sliced potatoes (choose skins on or off)
1/2 cup sliced onions or more
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons thyme
1/2 cup sour cream
Set the oven to 350 degrees
Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter, adding salt and pepper, flour, Dijon mustard and thyme. Pour in the broth, cook and stir until it boils. Remove from heat and add the sour cream.
Brown chops in 1 Tablespoon of butter.
Grease cooking dish with butter.
Layer the chops in the bottom of the dish. Layer the potatoes and onions over the chops evenly.
Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Uncover and continue to bake 1/2 hour more until starting to golden.
Angela’s Artichoke Dip
Scouring through my previously published recipes I noticed that I had never posted this recipe! Angela was a great friend of our family and especially my oldest daughter. She was a lot of fun to be around and certainly enjoyed her wine. Unfortunately she passed away a few years back way too soon! Her memory lives on in this recipe.
Combine the following –
8 oz. cream cheese softened
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 package of Knorr vegetable soup mix
Blend in the following –
1 package fresh spinach chopped
1 – 19 oz. jar drained marinated artichoke hearts chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Spread mixture into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve with your favorite crackers.
Always great to have dinner with longtime friends. Made even better by this great tasting dish! Know you will enjoy it. Test out some of the optional ingredients at the end…
Shrimp and Artichoke Linguini a la Chuck
This recipe is great for pasta and shrimp. I think I might even try the sauce over cooked chicken, served with rice!
500 grams linguini pasta
2 T olive oil
1 large onion chopped
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can artichoke hearts
½ cup white wine
4 T lemon juice
4 tsp. lemon zest
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
½ cup chicken stock
4 T fresh chopped parsley
Optionals: 1 T capers and/or ¼ cup diced red peppers and/or 1 T Dijon mustard and/or crushed red pepper flakes
1. Cook pasta in boiling water.
2. Sauté onion and garlic (and red pepper) in oil for about 5 minutes while pasta is cooking. Remove to a bowl.
3. Add shrimp to drippings and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in artichoke hearts, wine, lemon juice, zest, salt, pepper and cooked onion and garlic. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover for 4 minutes.
4. Thicken with cornstarch.
5. Toss with pasta and parsley. Serve immediately.