Dinner with friends again, so I opted to make this old recipe again, which it seems I never posted before? I added some shrimp to the original.
Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops
Ingredients for Scallops
- 12-16 large scallops 3-4 per person + deveined shrimp
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and Pepper
Ingredients for Carbonara
- 8 slices thick cut bacon diced
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic leave whole
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmigiana Reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- 14 oz (400g) pasta of your choice -I used Linguine
1. Start cooking pasta in large stainless-steel pot.
2. In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and 3/4 of cheese.
3. In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and ½ green onions.
4. Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
5. When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
6.. Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
7. Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
Perfect Pan Seared Scallops (+ shrimp)
1. Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
2. Heat large non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
3. Make sure frying pan is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
4. Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
6. Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don’t move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
7.Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
8. Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
10. Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
11. Keep warm in oven, if making in batches.
12. Add butter to another frying pan. Cook shrimp until pink flipping once!
13. Add shrimp and scallops to pasta and mix well
14. Serve with more Parmesan cheese.