Eureka! Shrimp in the freezer. What to do? Checked the ingredients I had on hand and found this recipe for dinner. The worst part is cleaning the shrimp, so just cheat and buy them already cleaned and deveined…LOL. Substitute whatever protein you have available. As always, my changes are in red lettering.
Shrimp, Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- 5 medium tomatoes, fresh, chopped into large cubes ( one can of diced with juice depending on how much you like tomatoes)
- 1 cup cooked spinach
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more)
- 10 oz fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil until melted. Add fresh shrimp and half the minced garlic. Make sure shrimp is not crowded. Cook for 1 minute on one side until pink on that side. While it’s cooking, generously sprinkle paprika and salt over uncooked side of the shrimp. Flip the shrimp over and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes until pink on the other side.
- To the skillet with shrimp, add chopped fresh tomatoes, cooked spinach, and remaining amount of minced garlic. Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more). Mix everything well, remove from heat while you cook pasta.
- In the mean time cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent pasta from cooking and getting mushy.
- Add pasta to the skillet with shrimp and vegetables with 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice (depending on the juiciness of your lemon, it could be 1/4 of small lemon or 1/2 lemon). Don’t add too much lemon juice. Season with salt and more crushed red pepper. Warm it up on medium heat until shrimp is cooked through, and all ingredients are heated through.
- To serve, top with grated Parmesan cheese.
This just in….the liquor cabinet is running low, Heather. Instead I am posting this great New Year’s Eve dish for a romantic dinner! Just add candles, soft music and…of course a bottle of Ontario wine!!! How ’bout a little Tony Bennett and Diana Krall?
Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo
Makes: 4 servings Total Time: 1 hr
What you need
- 1 tablespoon Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced and halved, divided
- 1 stick real butter, divided
- 8 oz. package fettuccine noodles, cooked according to package
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp
- Garlic salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups Kraft Parmesan Cheese
Heat cream cheese, whipping cream, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 3/4 stick of butter until reaches slight boil. Keep at a low boil for 20 minutes, continuously stirring.
In the meantime, cook noodles according to package. Place remaining butter and garlic in a large fry pan and heat. Add shrimp and heat until thoroughly cooked. ( I added some bay portobello mushrooms). Add garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste.
After 20 minutes, turn heat off the sauce and add Parmesan cheese. Stir and add any garlic salt, salt, or pepper if needed. Add the shrimp to the sauce and then pour over the cooked noodles. Grate some fresh nutmeg over top if you like that taste!