Larry adapted this from Taste of Home and it was incredible with the addition of the rum and peel! The secret is in the dried French bread cubes!!!
Cajun Bread Pudding Recipe (Taste of Home)
Adapted by Larry with the red ingredients….
- Prep: 20 min. + soaking Bake: 45 min. Yield: 12 Servings
- 4-3/4 cups milk, divided OR 2 cups whipping cream + 2 cups evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 11 cups cubed French bread (1-inch cubes) baked in 250 degree oven until dry!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch of ground clove and nutmeg
- 2/3 cup golden raisins, optional
- 2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans, optional
- 1 cup of candied citrus peel
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 cups of ‘milk’ until warm; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and remaining milk. Gradually add warmed milk, stirring constantly. Stir in butter. Add bread cubes; let soak 10 minutes. Add cinnamon, and raisins and/or pecans if desired.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- For sauce, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar; stir to dissolve. Add corn syrup and cream. Bring to boil; cook 15-20 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans, vanilla, butter and salt. Cut pudding into squares and serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
I know this is not a summer time dish, but with all of the rain in the north I thought you might need some comfort food. I learned this recipe in a cooking course I took many years back. It’ s definitely a KISS recipe and it tastes great with some nice French bread for dipping…I like the idea of the varied cooking times and temps depending on how much time I have…
- 1 lb. cubed round steak ( get rid of any excess fat)
- 4 peeled potatoes cubed (if in a rush buy a can of peeled baby potatoes)
- 4 carrots roughly sliced (don’t even bother to peel them)
- 8 lg. fresh mushrooms quartered
- 3 med. onions quartered
- 1 – 10 oz. can tomato soup
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcester sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine or water
Mix sauce and pour over all.
2 hr @ 350F
3 hr @ 325F
4 hr @ 300F
5 hr @ 275F
OR Microwave @ 50 power for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.