Just bring a dessert..don’t you just hate that comment from a hostess? Just kidding, but that was the invite last week where we were meeting up with our dear vegan friend and a few others for cocktails and drinks. What to bring? Uhm…we had a watermelon. We use Pinterest… Do we have any berries and coconut? Do we have peaches or mangoes? This sounds perfect…and it was so good we have made it twice since!!!
Vegan Watermelon Pizza Dessert
• 1 watermelon (we used the round seedless ones)
• 1 peach or mango
• Cherries (about 10) (you could skip these if you don’t have any fresh ones)
• Fresh mint
• Toasted coconut
• 5 strawberries or a combination of berries
• Squeeze of fresh lime juice
• Couple of mint leaves
raspberry sambucca or possible coconut rum?
1. To make the sauce, place the strawberries or mixed berries, a squeeze of lime juice, and some mint into a blender. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust flavors accordingly.
2. For the watermelon pizza, slice your watermelon in half (not lengthwise!) Cut out 2 1-inch thick “wheels” from the watermelon. Lay the watermelon circles down and cut into pizza slices. Spread desired amount of sauce onto the “pizza.” Arrange your toppings onto the watermelon and serve.
Since we had no peaches, we used some frozen mango slices we had, along with some frozen sliced strawberries. The second time around we used fresh raspberries. Oh yeah…one more thing. The second time around we used a few drops of raspberry sambucca in the sauce….great for an adult party!
Okay…this was supposed to be a special recipe as it is number 200..
After dining out the other day at Piccoli Italian Restaurant in Merida, I thought I would do something a little different in honour of Valentine’s Day. (even though it is really just a Hallmark holiday).
Thinking of my granddaughter who loves to do desserts, I am sharing this beautiful dessert which requires FOUR ingredients and no cooking! Just need to go shopping…and you still have time before tomorrow!
1 dozen chocolate truffles, dusted with cocoa
1 pint of fresh raspberries
1/4 cup raspberry or chocolate syrup
Plate six truffles on a fancy plate. Put 4 to 6 berries around the plate. Drizzle with syrup. Top with one or two mint leaves.
NOTE – the original tartufo is a dessert with frozen ice cream in the centre, as noted in this reference from Wikipedia –
Tartufo is an Italian ice-cream dessert originating from Pizzo, Calabria. It is usually composed of two or more flavors of ice cream, often with either fruit syrup or frozen fruit — typically raspberry, strawberry or cherry — in the center. It is typically covered in a shell made of chocolate or cocoa, but cinnamon or nuts are also used.