Last of the fall vegetable recipes since they are becoming scarce. These were great! Great with the scalloped potatoes…
Maple Thyme Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, and Parsnips
- 2 cups chopped, peeled parsnips, cut into ½” chunks (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups chopped, peeled carrots, cut into ½ ” chunks (about 3 medium)
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered, depending on size
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the oven racks on the lower and upper thirds of the oven.
- Divide the vegetables between two large rimmed baking sheets in a single layer.
- Place the olive oil, maple syrup, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle half of the mixture over each pan of vegetables and toss well to coat. Place one pan on the upper rack and one on the lower rack, and roast for 15 minutes. Switch the pans from upper to lower and vice versa, and roast 10-15 minutes more or until caramelized and softened.
- Serve and enjoy!
You are probably wondering why I am using summer squash now that it is Fall. Well, the truth is that northern type squash, which I love, are not normally available in Yucatan. What is “normal” are patty pan squash which are quite small but are available most of the year here. Recently I found a package of these so-called summer squash at a local grocery chain. So, here goes…
Roasted Summer Squash with Sweet Peppers and Onion
This recipe can be easily doubled, using 2 baking sheets and rotating the pans to allow for even cooking. And, yes, we eat the rinds, since there are lots of nutrients..
- 1 large yellow squash or smaller summer squash [about 2 cups] unpeeled
- 1 large zucchini squash [about 2 cups] unpeeled
- 1 medium purple onion
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet orange pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 3/4-1 tsp garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
- Cut the yellow squash and zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion and cut the peppers into strips.
- Place all of the veggies into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the veggies add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasonings, add 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, 3/4-1 teaspoon of garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spread the vegetables in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Stir. In the first 20 minutes, the vegetables will release a lot of moisture.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, then stir again.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475°F and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden.