I don’t know about you, but chicken pot pie is one of my fall favourites. That creamy chicken and vegetable filling is so warming and comforting.
Although this recipe included a coconut flour crust, I ignored it and it became my Chicken Pot Pie without a crust! The choice is yours…
Keto Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables
- 1/4 small white onion diced
- 1/4 tsp.salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp.poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp.rosemary
- pinch of thyme
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese OPTIONAL
- Skip cooking the chicken and buy a ready roasted one! Cut up 2 1/2 cups…
- Saute onion, veggies, garlic cloves, salt and pepper in 2 tablespoons of butter for approx. 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, thyme and rosemary. Simmer (covered) for 5 more minutes.
- Add the diced chicken.
Optional – Stir in 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
Ok…its a little chilly out there, depending on where you live. Actually it’s chilly in Mexico where the temperature last night dropped to 13 C. Forget Christmas…LOL. It’s chicken soup time! Dig in (to the soup, NOT the snowbanks).
Turmeric and ginger are excellent additions healthwise BTW.
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs , skin removed
- 12 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems or fresh parsley stems
- 2 shallots , quartered
- 2 carrots , coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic , smashed
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh turmeric (unpeeled), thinly sliced
- 1 piece (1/2 inch) fresh ginger (unpeeled), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (approx.)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves or fresh parsley leaves
- OPTIONAL – 1 liter of Campbell’s Chicken Broth
In Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine chicken, water and vinegar; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 30 minutes, skimming and discarding froth.
Stir in cilantro stems, shallots, carrots, garlic, turmeric and ginger; partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove from heat; using tongs, transfer chicken to cutting board.
Using 2 forks, shred into bite-size pieces; sprinkle with salt.
Strain broth through fine-mesh sieve into separate large saucepan; discard solids.
I prefer my soups chunky, so I used my immersion blender to chop up some of the veggies before I added the chicken back to the pot. At this point I also added the liter of chicken broth.
Return chicken to broth; stir in cilantro leaves. Season with salt to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Per each of 6 servings:
Sodium 493 mg
Sugars 0 g
Protein 30 g
Total fat 5 g
Potassium 611 mg
Cholesterol 155 mg
Saturated fat 1 g
Total carbohydrate 0.0