This is a great and easy accompaniment to a great steak and maybe a potato! Can you tell this by the photo?
Great for BBQ season as well…
GREEN BEANS WITH LEMON AND FETA
- 3/4 to 1 pound of fresh green beans (stem end snipped off), washed
- 4 heaping tablespoons feta cheese
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add about 1/2 inch of water to a medium-sized sauté pan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add beans, cover and continue to cook on medium-high for 4-5 minutes or until fork tender but still crispy.
- Drain and return to pan. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and toss to coat. Place green beans on a plate and sprinkle with feta, then lemon juice, then pepper (and salt if desired).
- Serve immediately. (But they are also pretty great cold!)
Blame it on Costco! Too many great vegetables luring us to buy them. The result…better cook these before they spoil! Pinterest to the rescue, another great recipe worth sharing.
Ultimate Vegetable Soup
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups cabbage (I skipped the cabbage this time)
2 cups broccoli
2 cups cauliflower
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups cut green beans (frozen or fresh)
1 1/2 cups peas (frozen) (didn’t have any)
1 1/2 cups corn (frozen or canned)
Large handful spinach, or more (skipped this too)
15 oz. can diced tomatoes (and/or fresh)
8 cups vegetable broth
Salt to taste
Prep veggies: mince garlic and dice onion, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms. Roughly chop cabbage if using, and cut broccoli and cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and all veggies (except spinach if using).
Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are desired tenderness.
Stir in spinach or not, and salt to taste.
Vegetable soup freezes wonderfully!
The frozen veggies work great as “fillers” if you want to quickly and easily add more veggies.
It has been so long since I started making this recipe that I do not even remember who June Vance was! If anyone can refresh my memory that would be great…I know for sure she wasn’t a sister of Vivian Vance…LOL (only you old folks will know who that was). Anyways, here is June’s recipe –
Four Bean Salad
4 – 16 ounce cans of beans (I like to use kidneys, cut green or yellow beans and garbanzos (also known as chick peas)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
Mix them all together in a colander and let the juices drain off.
Mix the following dressing and pour over the beans in a serving dish and then let it chill before serving.
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar or less
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
This makes a great salad for a summer gathering and can easily be doubled. Hope you will try it….