Smoked salmon is something we have on hand regularly. We use it on pizza with red onions and capers. It is great as an appetizer, etc. If you have any leftovers, this makes a great and fairly easy meal.
Penne with Smoked Salmon
- 1 1-pound box penne pasta
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup capers
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, or more, cut into ribbons
- a sprinkle or two sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook penne in lots of boiling salted water until al dente cooked through and tender but still retaining some texture and chew.
Scoop out some of the starchy cooking water and reserve. Drain the pasta but not quite all the way. Leave it a bit wet. Put the pasta back into the pot along with a splash or two of the reserved water.
While the pasta is still steaming hot, immediately add the rest of the ingredients except the salmon. Stir with a wooden spoon as the cheese melts and forms a creamy sauce.
At the last second briefly stir in the smoked salmon; this way it won’t break up as much. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.