Just in time for your Thanksgiving dinner! Make ahead and refrigerate. Serve as your first course!
Thai Style Chicken Pumpkin Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. minced fresh ginger
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 15 ounce can pumpkin
- ½ cup mango nectar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup peanut butter (or more)
- 1 liter low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook about three minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Transfer chicken to crock pot. Add celery, carrots, pumpkin, nectar, lime juice, peanut butter, broth and water. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours,
After the time is up, stir in the following –
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Mix ½ cup heavy cream and 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch together.Stir into soup and turn cooker to HIGH for 10 minutes or less until soup thickens.
Serve over white rice which has been previously cooked. Sprinkle with more chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts.
Source – Crock-Pot Best Loved Slow Cooker Recipes.