Quite a while back I had posted a KETO lasagna recipe using zucchini zoodles. Now that we are Keto Conscious I have given myself a little more leeway with what we eat. But…this recipe is really still Keto but assembled in a little different manner, for those who do not own a spiralizer! It was great with a few different ingredients.
Oven Ready in 9 x 13 pan
- 3 large zucchinis
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 24-ounce jar marinara or Bolognese sauce
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- fresh basil garnish
- Trim both ends off the zucchini.
- Use a mandolin to cut the zucchini into 1/8-inch slices. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini slices, then lay them out on a layer of paper towels to drain. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Pat the tops of the zucchini slices with paper towels until dry.
- While the zucchini is resting, prepare the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking the meat up with a spatula, until beef is browned and cooked through.
- Add the onion and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, Italian seasoning, egg, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2- or 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the dish. Add 1/3 of the zucchini slices on top. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini then top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, then let stand for 5-7 minutes. Cut into slices, then serve.
Sooo…my spouse bought this Paderno spiralizer a year ago..new toy…lol. We have only used it a handful of times. Since we started our low carb diet we are now using it more. We love lasagna, but low carb means no pasta or breads. Et voila, with Pinterest I discovered this recipe. We have served it to our guests and they loved it too! It tastes wonderful!!! Don’t tell anyone it is low carb… shown here with a green salad with radish sprouts.
Keto Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles Author Vicky | Tasteaholics.com
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 Calories 544 kcal
- 16 oz. ground beef
- 1 cup Rao’s marinara sauce * (see below)
- 1 zucchini large
- 10 oz. ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel zucchini into strips and leave out the seedy core. Salt and let sit for 15 minutes and blot with paper towels.
Brown ground beef in pan and add marinara. Season well with salt and pepper.
Layer into a small casserole dish: meat, zucchini, ricotta, meat, zucchini, ricotta, mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Broil uncovered for 2-3 minutes to brown the top.
- Rao’s Marinara Sauce (Pinterest recipe)
Makes 7 cups
- Four 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes (I used four cans of Kirkland tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn (optional)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Remove tomatoes from can and place in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands; remove and discard the hard core from stem end, and any skin and tough membrane; set aside. OR…just use as is if using Kirkland brand…
- Place oil in a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook until soft and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until softened, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and reserved juices; season with salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- Stir in basil, if using, oregano, and season with pepper; continue cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat and serve.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 544 Calories from Fat 369
- Total Fat 41g 63%
- Saturated Fat 18g 90%
- Trans Fat 0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 139mg 46%
- Sodium 487mg 20%
- Potassium 530mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrates 6g 2%
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 34g 68%
- * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.