Sooo…my spouse bought this Paderno spiralizer a year ago..new toy…lol. We have only used it a handful of times. Since we started our low carb diet we are now using it more. We love lasagna, but low carb means no pasta or breads. Et voila, with Pinterest I discovered this recipe. We have served it to our guests and they loved it too! It tastes wonderful!!! Don’t tell anyone it is low carb… shown here with a green salad with radish sprouts.
Keto Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles Author Vicky | Tasteaholics.com
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 Calories 544 kcal
- 16 oz. ground beef
- 1 cup Rao’s marinara sauce * (see below)
- 1 zucchini large
- 10 oz. ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel zucchini into strips and leave out the seedy core. Salt and let sit for 15 minutes and blot with paper towels.
Brown ground beef in pan and add marinara. Season well with salt and pepper.
Layer into a small casserole dish: meat, zucchini, ricotta, meat, zucchini, ricotta, mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Broil uncovered for 2-3 minutes to brown the top.
- Rao’s Marinara Sauce (Pinterest recipe)
Makes 7 cups
- Four 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes (I used four cans of Kirkland tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn (optional)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Remove tomatoes from can and place in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands; remove and discard the hard core from stem end, and any skin and tough membrane; set aside. OR…just use as is if using Kirkland brand…
- Place oil in a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook until soft and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until softened, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and reserved juices; season with salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- Stir in basil, if using, oregano, and season with pepper; continue cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat and serve.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 544 Calories from Fat 369
- Total Fat 41g 63%
- Saturated Fat 18g 90%
- Trans Fat 0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 139mg 46%
- Sodium 487mg 20%
- Potassium 530mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrates 6g 2%
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 34g 68%
- * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
No oven, no worries. Pinterest to the rescue again! This has to be one of the best recipes I have ever found and it goes together fairly quickly. Your guests will rave about it as did ours. This recipe would be great for any potluck you get invited to. Be sure to follow the link at the end of the recipe for more great recipes.
Lazy Crock Pot Lasagna Serves: 8 servings
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large jar (45 oz.) high quality pasta sauce (I used one of the two large jars of Prego that I bought at Costco)
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 large package (25-30 oz.) cheese & spinach filled ravioli (uncooked) (also Costco, my large cooker used 36 pieces of the stuffed ravioli – Pasta Prima brand)
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in Italian seasoning and pasta sauce. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Spray the inside of a 6-7 quart crock pot with cooking spray. Layer meat sauce, ravioli and cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with cheese. (I ended up with two layers.) Cover and cook on low 3 hours and reduce heat to WARM.
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Happy Easter to all! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Looking for a summery menu a week ago, I decided to make my favourite two salads, Amish Macaroni and June Vance’s Four Bean. I wasn’t in the mood for hamburgers and went searching for something a little different as a quick accompaniment. I found it in this sandwich which mimics one of my other favourite salads, Cabrese, with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and fresh basil. Just before we sat down to eat I assembled the prepared ingredients and fired up our stove top grill…the result was awesome!
Grilled Margherita Sandwiches (Adapted from CookingClub.com)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: about 10 minutes Level: easy Makes: 4 sandwiches
• 8 (1/2-inch) slices crusty Italian bread
• 2 large garlic cloves, quartered
• 4 to 8 thin slices whole-milk mozzarella cheese (about 3 oz.) (I was tempted to use goat)
• 2 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
• 2 or 3 fresh basil leaves per sandwich
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper seasoning
• 1 -2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Roasted peppers (optional)
Rub both sides of each bread slice with garlic and a little extra virgin olive oil. Place 4 slices on work surface; top each with one-fourth of the cheese and half of the tomato, roasted peppers and basil. Sprinkle each with 1/8 teaspoon of the seasoning; top with remaining cheese and bread slices.
Brush tops of sandwiches with some of the oil; sprinkle with some of the seasoning. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in large skillet or on a stove-top grill over medium heat until hot.You could use a panini press I guess.
Place sandwiches, brushed-sides down, in skillet; cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and cheese on bottom of sandwich begins to melt.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Brush tops of sandwiches with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining seasoning. Turn; cover and cook 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Just realized that one of my favourite go-to recipes has never appeared here! When you get tired of that turkey, my American friends, you might give this dish a try. I’m leaving the kitchen for a few days but wanted to share this with you before I put all the dishes away…LOL…Buen Provecho as always!!
Reg’s Lasagna (easily feeds 8 people)
1 cup diced white onions
1 cup celery chopped
1 cup carrots sliced
1 ½ lbs. lean ground beef and pork mixed (you could use ground chicken or turkey instead)
1 or 2 garlic cloves minced
14 oz. can cubed tomatoes
5 ½ oz. can tomato puree
1 19 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
½ cup red wine (optional)
2 TBSP. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. each of basil and oregano
12 lasagna noodles oven ready
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 package fresh spinach stems removed and chopped
1 small package of fresh mushrooms sliced
1 large bag shredded manchego or mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated parmesan (don’t use the Kraft powdery stuff!)
In a little olive oil, brown the carrots, celery and onions until tender and slightly browning. Add in the pork and beef mixture and cook until browned and almost no pink visible. Drain off the fat if there is an excess. Add tomatoes, tomato puree, ½ of the tomato sauce, sugar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add in the sliced mushrooms and continue to simmer until they appear softened.
While this has been cooking, mix the ricotta cheese with the chopped spinach in a bowl. Set aside.
In a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish pour a little of the remaining tomato sauce and spread over the bottom. Place four noodles in the bottom of the dish. Add ½ of the meat sauce to cover the noodles. Add 1/3 of the grated manchego or mozzarella cheese.
Cover this with four more lasagna noodles. Add the layer of ricotta and spinach. Add four additional lasagna noodles. Cover with the other half of the meat sauce and 1/3 of the cheese.
Add four more lasagna noodles ( if you have no sauce left, heat the remaining half jar of spaghetti sauce and pour over the top noodle layer. Cover with the remainder of the cheese. Over top of this add the Parmesan cheese.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Cover with foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Test the noodles with a sharp knife to make sure they are softened. Remove from the oven and let sit before cutting into desired portion sizes.
I make this a few hours before company comes and let it cool before refrigerating. 45 minutes before serving remove from refrigerator to let the dish warm to room temp. Return to 350 degree oven for about 15 to 25 minutes.
Angela’s Artichoke Dip
Scouring through my previously published recipes I noticed that I had never posted this recipe! Angela was a great friend of our family and especially my oldest daughter. She was a lot of fun to be around and certainly enjoyed her wine. Unfortunately she passed away a few years back way too soon! Her memory lives on in this recipe.
Combine the following –
8 oz. cream cheese softened
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 package of Knorr vegetable soup mix
Blend in the following –
1 package fresh spinach chopped
1 – 19 oz. jar drained marinated artichoke hearts chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Spread mixture into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve with your favorite crackers.
For a very special dinner, we like to prepare this seafood lasagna in a white sauce. Yes, it is very rich, but there is never any leftover!!! Use whatever seafood you favour, but I like shrimp, scallops, lobster or crab in any combination. Think New Year’s Eve!!! The recipe can easily be halved…
If seafood isn’t your thing, substitute chicken! Add some slivered almonds to the Parmesan cheese sprinkling….
Seafood Lasagna (Cooks.Com)
8 Tablespoons butter
8 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup cream
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg
1 package “no-boil” lasagna
10 ounces of spinach (you could use frozen if thawed and drained)
16 ounces of ricotta cheese
8 ounces of mozzarella cheese (I preferred Manchego from Spain)
8 ounces of Provolone cheese
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 sliced onions
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tomato, cut and peeled
1 1/2 pounds of seafood
parsley and rosemary to taste
Melt butter and add flour. Take it off the burner, add cream, milk and broth. Put back on burner. Stir constantly.
When everything is mixed, take it off the heat. Add salt and pepper and nutmeg.
Saute onions and mushrooms in butter and a little oil. Add tomato, parsley and rosemary. Add all of the seafood.
In a greased lasagna pan pour some sauce, place a row of lasagna, followed by 1/2 of the seafood, some mozzarella or Manchego, ricotta (mixed with the spinach), and Provolone. Press it down before adding a second layer. Follow same order as first layer, ending with another layer of lasagna noodles and sauce to cover the noodles. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes. Cover with foil if it is browning to rapidly!!!
It will be rich, so do not give your guests large portions to start with. Serve with a nice fresh salad.