First had this Vietnamese noodle soup in San Francisco, The portions they served were a little large, but awesome.
Spicy Shrimp Pho (http://chefsavvy.com/spicy-shrimp-pho/)
Prep time 10 mins Cook time 20 mins Total time 30 mins Serves: 4
- 4 ounces whole wheat thin spaghetti (I substituted rice noodles for a less heavy Pho)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced thin
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces large shrimp, uncooked
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Cook spaghetti until al dente (or prepare rice noodles according to package)
- Meanwhile add oil to a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and green onions. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, fish sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in mushrooms and shrimp. Simmer until the mushrooms are tender and the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Take off of the heat and stir in pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Divide the noodles among the 4 bowls and pour the soup on top.
- Garnish with extra lime wedges and cilantro if desired.
Stefano Faita is one of my favourite TV chefs. Thai food is also a favourite of mine. This recipe seems a little complicated, but if you prepare everything in advance it is quite fast to cook for your guests.
Stefano’s Ultimate Pad Thai 4 servings
3/4(14-ounce) package flat rice noodles (1/4-inch thick)
4 tbsp. ketchup
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. lime juice
3 tbsp. fish sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 block extra firm, pressed tofu, diced or about 1 cup diced tofu
20 small to medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
2 small chicken breasts, thinly sliced
Salt, to taste
1 heaping tbsp. ginger
1 heaping tbsp. garlic
2 Thai chilies, or to taste, chopped
3/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
3 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
2 handfuls bean sprouts
3 limes, cut into wedges
Large handful cilantro, chopped
Add boiling water to rice noodles. Let soak for about 1 minute. Drain and set aside. Alternatively, let soak in room temperature water until pliable, about 1 hour. (You can soak noodles in cold water and store in fridge 1 day in advance.)
To make sauce: add ketchup, lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce to small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
Add vegetable oil to wok and heat over medium heat. Fry tofu, until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towel. (Note this step can be done 1 day in advance).
Remove 3 tbsp. oil from the wok. Increase heat to high. Add chicken and season with salt. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and stir-fry until both chicken and shrimp are just cooked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Add shallots, chilies, garlic and ginger and stir-fry until lightly golden, about 30 seconds. Add eggs. Let fry for 1 minute.
Add noodles then sauce. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add chicken and shrimp back to the wok. Cook until heated through, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Garnish pad Thai with peanuts, green onion, bean sprouts, cilantro and lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings.
Stay inside and enjoy this Chinese favourite! You can use any fresh mushrooms you might have instead of the dried ones. Be decadent and use chicken instead of the tofu! It is important to use rice noodles…
Hot and Sour Soup
- 10 oz. chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 10 grams dried sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 20 grams rice stick noodles
- 6 oz. silken tofu OR shrimp
- 3 green onions chopped
Combine broth, water, ginger. Rinse mushrooms in cold water.
Add to broth. Stir in soy, vinegar, sugar, Tabasco and sesame oil. Bring to boil.
Break noodles into 4 inch lengths. Cover with hot water for a few minutes to soften. Add to soup. Simmer uncovered for 8 minutes. Dice tofu. Slice onions. Stir tofu into soup.
Simmer until hot. Stir in onions. Taste. Add more Tabasco if desired. Serve.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 11 minutes
Makes 4 cups.