Another Costco use up – LOL. Two people can hardly use up a whole package of their asparagus in less than a week? This was very tasty along with some Costco roasted chicken.
Asparagus Casserole with Ritz Crackers – Servings 6
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/2 cup bacon cooked, reserve 2 tablespoons bacon grease
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cut asparagus in bite sized pieces and separate the tips from the stalks.
3. Add the stalks to salted, boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tips and cook for a minute or so more – or until the stalks are crisp-tender.
6. Cook the bacon until crisp. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
7. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
8. Crumble the crackers and set aside.
9. Grease a 2-quart (9×9) casserole dish and add half the cooked asparagus.
10. Top with half the cream of mushroom soup.
11. Add half the cheese and repeat the layers.
12. Mix the reserved bacon grease with the cracker crumbs. You may substitute 2 tablespoons of melted butter if you like.
13. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
14. Top with the crumbled bacon.
15. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and bubbly, 25 – 30 minutes
Expert Tip: Separate the tips of the asparagus and the stems after you cut the stalks up. Add the stalks to boiling water first and let them cook about 2 minutes before adding the tips. That way the stalks will be cooked through but the tips won’t be mushy.