Was looking for something easy and quick to make for supper last night and came across this on Bon Appetit….it was very simple and uses just a few ingredients. My additions are indicated in red….
Egg Ribbon and Parmesan Soup (Bon Appetit September 2004)
Robyn Fuoco of Mainly Café and Bakery, Philadelphia, PA, writes: “Although I don’t have any formal culinary training, I’ve spent my entire career working as a chef. You could say the restaurant business just runs in the family. My grandfather had his own restaurant, my husband is a chef, and I’m co-owner of the Mainly Café and Bakery, where I also happen to be the pastry chef. After I’ve spent all day baking—and tasting—sweets, it’s good to go home and make “real food” to eat. Because I’m busy, I like dinnertime to be organized. My secret is keeping the pantry well stocked with basics like olive oil, kosher salt, and a variety of pastas and beans.”
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 cups low-salt chicken broth (or half chicken and half vegetable)
- 3/4 cup tiny pasta (such as acini di pepe or orzo) (I used Barilla fideos…very small noodles for chicken soup)
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil
- When I do this again, I will add slivers of carrot. If ya gotta have it, add cooked chicken…
- Whisk eggs and 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese in small bowl to blend. Bring chicken broth to simmer in large pot. Add pasta. Cover and simmer until pasta is tender, about 6 minutes. Gradually add egg mixture to soup, stirring constantly until egg ribbons form, about 1 minute. Simmer 1 minute longer. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve, passing remaining cheese separately.