Another Costco use up – LOL. Two people can hardly use up a whole package of their asparagus in less than a week? This was very tasty along with some Costco roasted chicken.
Asparagus Casserole with Ritz Crackers – Servings 6
2 pounds fresh asparagus trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup Ritz crackerscrushed
1/2 cup bacon cooked, reserve 2 tablespoons bacon grease
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cut asparagus in bite sized pieces and separate the tips from the stalks.
3. Add the stalks to salted, boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tips and cook for a minute or so more – or until the stalks are crisp-tender.
6. Cook the bacon until crisp. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
7. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
8. Crumble the crackers and set aside.
9. Grease a 2-quart (9×9) casserole dish and add half the cooked asparagus.
10. Top with half the cream of mushroom soup.
11. Add half the cheese and repeat the layers.
12. Mix the reserved bacon grease with the cracker crumbs. You may substitute 2 tablespoons of melted butter if you like.
13. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
14. Top with the crumbled bacon.
15. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and bubbly, 25 – 30 minutes
Expert Tip: Separate the tips of the asparagus and the stems after you cut the stalks up. Add the stalks to boiling water first and let them cook about 2 minutes before adding the tips. That way the stalks will be cooked through but the tips won’t be mushy.
Until recently, we were unable to find Jiffy cornbread mix here. Having found it, I searched Pinterest to look for an upgrade to the mix. Below is the enhanced recipe…
Jiffy Mix Jalapeno and Cheese Corn Bread
1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
2 Tbsp. of melted butter (I use unsalted)
1/3 cup of milk – I used 2%, but you can substitute whatever you have on hand
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 /2 of 15 oz. can of Niblets corn – drained
1 – medium Jalapeno diced (or) 2 Tbsp. of canned jalapeno diced (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Using a large mixing bowl, add the corn muffin mix and all of the other ingredients and mix until the dough is moist
3. Grease an 8×8 pan and pour the mixture into the pan
4. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-35 minutes – or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
5. Bread will still be very moist when done, don’t let that confuse you with it not being cooked.
*Adjust baking time per baking dish. Muffins will be ready on the earlier side of time frame (around 15-20 min., loaf pan will probably take the full amount of time because of the depth of the batter – maybe longer, use the toothpick method. you can use an 8×8 or 9×9 pan to spread the batter out a little, and you are probably looking at closer to 25 minutes.
Another round of what to do with leftover rotisserie chicken…LOL. Just cannot resist a freshly cooked rotisserie chicken, but it usually lasts for three meals with only two of us. Came across this one, as usual, on Pinterest. It was a great marriage of southwest flavours! The recipe made enough to reheat the second day.
Great way to use up those little bits of dried pasta. If you look carefully, you will see shells and penne.
Southwest Chicken and Pasta Casserole
2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
1 cup sour cream
1 cup salsa ( I love Pace Picante Sauce for this recipe)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 can (15 oz) corn (drained)
1 can (15 oz) black beans (drained & rinsed)
2 cups cooked shredded/chunked chicken
2 cups shredded cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Don’t forget to salt the pasta water. I use about 1 teaspoon salt.
3. While pasta is cooking, combine sour cream, salsa, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large mixing bowl.
4. Drain the pasta when it’s done cooking and add into the sour cream mixture. Stir to combine. Add in the corn, black beans, chicken, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir together to combine.
5. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover with tin foil and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Take the tin foil off and let cook an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with green onions,, sour cream and more Pace Picante Sauce..
Hope it is not to late for you to get these ready? The recipe makes about 4 breakfasts. Simply portion the ingredients into 4 small jars, refrigerate overnight. Come morning, dump the ingredients into a mug, add two slightly scrambled eggs, stir and microwave according to the directions!
Make Ahead Breakfast Scrambles
2 oz. ham, diced(I used a strip of bacon per jar).
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
2 tsp butter
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
8 large eggs
1. Divide the ham, bell pepper, onion, and cheddar between four resealable containers*. Cut the butter into 4, 1/2 teaspoon-sized pieces, and add one to each container. Sprinkle about 1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt into each container.
2. Seal the containers and store them for up to 4-5 days.
3. When you’re ready to prepare a microwave breakfast scramble, pour the ingredients of the container into a ceramic mug, add two large eggs, and stir to combine.
4. Loosely cover the mug with a paper towel or another microwave-safe object and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir the contents of the mug and microwave for 15 seconds more. Stir again and continue to microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until the eggs are mostly set, but still moist. Serve immediately.