Normally, when I do sausage and peppers, it is in the oven. Since I had time this week I found a slow cooker/crockpot recipe on Pinterest for this method. Come to find out, I liked it much better without having to use the oven. The texture of the sausage was so very different and the peppers were great. Served this with a little side of steamed broccoli. Perfect dish!
FYI…the sausages I prefer are Obertal Argentinian Chorizos, but that is your choice.
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- 1 pkg Italian sausages (5) My preference is Obertal Argentinian Chorizo
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chunky marinara sauce I substituted a small jar of PACE Medium Salsa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan.
2. Sear the Italian sausages 2-3 mins on each side until starting to brown. You aren’t trying to cook them all the way through, you’re just browning the outside a bit which always increases the flavor while slow cooking.
3. Lay the seared Italian sausages in the bottom of a slow cooker/crockpot.
4. Add the uncooked sliced onions and peppers on top of the sausages.
5. Sprinkle the garlic salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning over the top.
6. Spread the marinara sauce or PACE salsa over the onion and pepper mixture.
7. Cook the crock pot sausage and peppers recipe on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours until the peppers are soft and the Italian sausage is cook through. FYI…mine was done at 4 hours on low!
8. The crockpot Italian sausage and peppers are seriously SO delicious as is, but to take it up a notch, take the sausage and peppers out of the slow cooker and spread into a broiler-safe pan and follow the cheese steps in the optional section.
Optional – Add Cheese
1. Sprinkle 1/2 – 3/4 cups of your favorite shredded white cheese, like mozzarella, Monterey Jack, an Italian blend, or Colby Jack would all be great choices.
2. Broil the Italian sausage and peppers mix for 1-2 minutes 4″ from the heat source until the cheese is melted.