Due to my spouse requiring a modified diet for a few days, I decided to make him some rice pudding. Without too much work, this one filled the bill!
Coconut Rice Pudding
Serves/Makes: 4 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes
- 1 can (15-ounce size) coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice (I used Jasmine)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Combine the coconut milk and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Add the rice and cook until it returns to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and let simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg. Pour into custard cups.
Serve warm or chilled.
Calling all coffee lovers! Found this recipe for a great biscotti cookie for dipping in that morning or evening coffee. Or, just nibbling away whenever…NOT just for Christmas!!
Biscotti with Ginger, Cranberries, Orange, and Cashews
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
- zest from one orange
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 large eggs or 4 medium
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Mix together flours, sugar, baking powder, cashews, ginger, and cranberries.
- In separate bowl, mix together eggs, orange zest, and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Form the dough into two flat logs on the parchment paper. It spreads a little, but not much, so make these slightly smaller than the width that you would like your biscotti to be.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the biscotti cool completely before slicing into ~1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Lay the slices flat on a baking sheet (you can use the same one, with the parchment), and bake for 7-10 minutes, flip each one over, and then continue to bake for an additional 7-10 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 24 pieces.