Here’s a little touch of Spain that we enjoyed in Havana. Adjust the amount of cumin to your specific taste! Red lettering indicates my changes to the original recipe as always…
Omit the meat if you want a vegan dish!!!
Sautéed Chickpeas with Chorizo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 ounces dried Spanish chorizo, skin removed OR bacon chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces roasted red bell peppers, sliced into 1/4- by 1/2-inch strips
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 can drained chunky tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat; add the shallots and cook until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Cut the chorizo/bacon into small pieces and add to the chickpeas. Continue to cook until the chorizo begins to render out some of the fat, 5 minutes. Add cumin.
3. Add the roasted red peppers to the pan and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and scrape up any brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Toss with the chopped parsley and serve warm with lemon wedges for squeezing.