No luncheon meats in the house and the cleaning lady is here today. What to give her for lunch? Penne. Large bag of Kirkland cheese blend. Whipping cream. Onion powder. Parmesan. Panko. Milk. Macaroni and cheese!!!
If you do not have gruyere experiment with another shredded cheese…
Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces pasta, I had penne
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted or olive oil or canola oil
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups gruyere shredded O or whatever shredded cheese you have on hand
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9×12 casserole dish.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta. Prepare noodles al dente. Drain, drizzle with oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine panko, butter or oil and parmesan. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
5. Whisk in flour. Whisk continuously until golden, about 1 minute.
6. Gradually whisk in milk and heavy cream until smooth. Whisk about 5 minutes.
7. Add onion powder, paprika and pepper.
8. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in cheeses until smooth.
9. Fold in pasta. Stir until well combined. Transfer to casserole dish or bake in Dutch oven.
10. Spread panko mixture evenly over the top.
11. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.