Some unknown person is always tinkering with my recipes? This time I made that someone (?) write down what he did. It was incredible and very moist! What can I say??? This was supposed our takeout and movie night vicariously with friends, during COVID-19, but we stayed in and he cooked. With these garlicky green beans the meal was awesome.
- 2 pounds of ground beef and pork
- 3 strips of bacon for topping the meatloaf
- ¼ cup of tomato pesto for topping the meat loaf
- 3/4 cup of crushed pork rinds
- ½ medium white onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce (I use Weber hickory)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Lightly spray a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan with oil and line with parchment.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp of water to a small fry pan, add in the onion and garlic and caramelize over low heat. When caramelized, add in the herbs. Set aside.
- Place the meat in large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the sauce ingredients well and then stir in the caramelized onion mix and the crushed pork rinds.
- Pour mixture over the meat and blend well using your fingers.
- Put into loaf pan and pat down.
- Cut bacon into short pieces and place on top, then add the tomato pesto over the loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, covering lightly with foil after 45 minutes. Meat thermometer should register 165 degrees F. (about 1 hr. to 1 hr. 15 min).
- When meat is done, juices will be clear. Drain any fat and let sit about 10 minutes before slicing.