Checking the pantry and freezer, I found I had all of the ingredients for this sauce, including a very nice medium zucchini for spiralizing. I also had a pound of ground veal which I had not put in the freezer since I bought it two days before. You can use beef or whatever…
Weeknight Bolognese Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup carrots, finely diced
- ½ cup celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons white wine
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Zucchini noodles or the pasta of your choice
- Romano or Parmesan cheese for serving
1. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium high heat.
2. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan and sauté until softened stirring often, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sauté stirring often until fragrant, around 1 minute.
4. Add the ground veal and sauté using wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks until the veal is fully browned, around 5 minutes.
5. Add salt, crushed red pepper, dried basil, dried Italian seasoning, wine, milk, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and baking soda and stir until well combined.
6. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
7. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes stirring periodically.
8. Serve immediately over zucchini noodles or pasta with a sprinkle of Romano or Parmesan cheese.