You are probably wondering why I am using summer squash now that it is Fall. Well, the truth is that northern type squash, which I love, are not normally available in Yucatan. What is “normal” are patty pan squash which are quite small but are available most of the year here. Recently I found a package of these so-called summer squash at a local grocery chain. So, here goes…
Roasted Summer Squash with Sweet Peppers and Onion
This recipe can be easily doubled, using 2 baking sheets and rotating the pans to allow for even cooking. And, yes, we eat the rinds, since there are lots of nutrients..
- 1 large yellow squash or smaller summer squash [about 2 cups] unpeeled
- 1 large zucchini squash [about 2 cups] unpeeled
- 1 medium purple onion
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet orange pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 3/4-1 tsp garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
- Cut the yellow squash and zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion and cut the peppers into strips.
- Place all of the veggies into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the veggies add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasonings, add 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, 3/4-1 teaspoon of garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spread the vegetables in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Stir. In the first 20 minutes, the vegetables will release a lot of moisture.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, then stir again.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475°F and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden.
Sooo…my spouse bought this Paderno spiralizer a year ago..new toy…lol. We have only used it a handful of times. Since we started our low carb diet we are now using it more. We love lasagna, but low carb means no pasta or breads. Et voila, with Pinterest I discovered this recipe. We have served it to our guests and they loved it too! It tastes wonderful!!! Don’t tell anyone it is low carb… shown here with a green salad with radish sprouts.
Keto Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles Author Vicky | Tasteaholics.com
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 Calories 544 kcal
- 16 oz. ground beef
- 1 cup Rao’s marinara sauce * (see below)
- 1 zucchini large
- 10 oz. ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel zucchini into strips and leave out the seedy core. Salt and let sit for 15 minutes and blot with paper towels.
Brown ground beef in pan and add marinara. Season well with salt and pepper.
Layer into a small casserole dish: meat, zucchini, ricotta, meat, zucchini, ricotta, mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Broil uncovered for 2-3 minutes to brown the top.
- Rao’s Marinara Sauce (Pinterest recipe)
Makes 7 cups
- Four 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes (I used four cans of Kirkland tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn (optional)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Remove tomatoes from can and place in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands; remove and discard the hard core from stem end, and any skin and tough membrane; set aside. OR…just use as is if using Kirkland brand…
- Place oil in a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook until soft and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until softened, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and reserved juices; season with salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
- Stir in basil, if using, oregano, and season with pepper; continue cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat and serve.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 544 Calories from Fat 369
- Total Fat 41g 63%
- Saturated Fat 18g 90%
- Trans Fat 0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 139mg 46%
- Sodium 487mg 20%
- Potassium 530mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrates 6g 2%
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 34g 68%
- * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Blame it on Costco! Too many great vegetables luring us to buy them. The result…better cook these before they spoil! Pinterest to the rescue, another great recipe worth sharing.
Ultimate Vegetable Soup
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups cabbage (I skipped the cabbage this time)
2 cups broccoli
2 cups cauliflower
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups cut green beans (frozen or fresh)
1 1/2 cups peas (frozen) (didn’t have any)
1 1/2 cups corn (frozen or canned)
Large handful spinach, or more (skipped this too)
15 oz. can diced tomatoes (and/or fresh)
8 cups vegetable broth
Salt to taste
Prep veggies: mince garlic and dice onion, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms. Roughly chop cabbage if using, and cut broccoli and cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and all veggies (except spinach if using).
Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are desired tenderness.
Stir in spinach or not, and salt to taste.
Vegetable soup freezes wonderfully!
The frozen veggies work great as “fillers” if you want to quickly and easily add more veggies.
What to take to a potluck that is different and easy to carry…et voila! I love the flavours and colours of this dish. Easily made by a young chef with Mom or Dad’s supervision….
Slow Cooker Roasted Peppers with Platano & Zucchini
4 to 6 peppers – red, orange, green, or yellow or combination – Julienned
½ bottle Lawry’s Lemon Pepper Marinade
1 white onion Quartered
2 small zucchini chopped
1 Mexican Platano (this is not a banana, but a Platano macho which is bigger and firmer) chopped into 1 inch segments
Slice the peppers into julienne strips. Quarter the onion. Chop the zucchini. Place all of the vegetables into a Ziploc bag and pour ½ bottle of marinade over the veggies. Let sit a half hour.
Place all of the vegetables and the marinade into a slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for about two hours. Stir every half hour. They will be a little crunchy. In the last half hour, add the chopped Platano. If you want them softer cook longer. You may need to reduce the heat to LOW if they are cooking too fast. You want the Platano to remain a little firm…do not overcook it…
I serve them as a side dish.
These are great as leftovers the next day on any meat sandwich!!
This wasn’t the recipe I intended to follow, but it turned out great! Instead of the mushrooms on the skewers, I grilled two marinated portobellos beside the kabobs! Since I only had smaller shrimp I made do, but I would have preferred the larger ones… If you are a friend on Facebook, you saw the photo… Check out Kramer’s Culinary Blog by clicking on the link below.
Herb and Garlic Seafood Kabobs Kramers Culinary Blog
Herb Garlic Marinade
- 4 gloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp thyme
- ¼ chopped onion
- juice from ½ lime
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 large shrimp peeled & divined
- 8 large scallops
- 8 slices of bacon
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 6 oz red pearl onions, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1 inch dices
- 2 zucchini, sliced length wise
- 2 yellow squash, sliced length wise
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- For the marinade combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend thoroughly until creamy. Set a side.
- Wrap scallops with bacon. If the bacon is to wide simply cut it length wise in half.
- Prepare rosemary skewers by striping of the leaves of the sprig, but leaving about 2 inches on the tip or use well soaked wooden ones.
- Assemble seafood kabobs the way it’s shown at the bottom of the page under “Lining Up”.
- Smother herb garlic marinade over the entire seafood kabob on both sides. Rest kabobs on a plate covered with plastic wrap and keep cool.
- Marinate the zucchini and yellow squash including the left over vegetables such as the mushrooms & onions with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables for about 3 minutes on each side over medium to high heat.
- Grill seafood kabobs on high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Allow kabobs to rest in a warm spot for a few minutes than serve immediately with the grilled vegetables. Serve with Chipotle tomato mayonnaise. They were just fine without the Chipotle Mayonnaise!
Lining up skewers – tomato, onion,shrimp.scallop,pepper,shrimp.scallop, mushroom, tomato
Remember to soak your wooden skewer sticks for several hours!!
Ah, too many vegetables and not enough time to eat them all before we go on a little vacation. Eh voila! Epicurious to the rescue…ok…if you skip the cheese it would be great alone…. I served this with a nice rack of lamb….
Ratatouille on the Run (Epicurious.Com)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large eggplant (unpeeled), diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cactus pads diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces goat cheese or Muenster cheese or a mixture of the two, diced (optional)
Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add eggplant, green bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, zucchini and basil. Sauté 5 minutes. Cover and simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Uncover pot and simmer until juice thickens, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper.(Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread ratatouille in 9-inch-diameter pie dish. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired. ( I added the cheese just before serving). Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ratatouille-on-the-Run-517#ixzz29wkHJuwF