My spouse bought three medium sized zucchini at the grocery store with which I made this wonderful pesto dish. Meatless! Unlike most pesto dishes, this one I made with no pesto sauce, as you will see below. It was all his idea and turned out perfectly!
Zucchini Noodle ‘Pesto” for Two
- 2 medium zucchinis (ends trimmed) unpeeled
- 2 cups fresh packed basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 T. cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese+
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- cherry or grape tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil for garnishing
- Use a spiralizer to make strands of zucchini noodles(zoodles). I chose the thinner setting.
- Shred the basil leaves by rolling them together like a cigar and slicing across the roll. This is called chiffonading.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small pan until slightly brown and remove from heat.
- Sauté the zucchini noodles in 1 tablespoon of cooking olive oil in a wok or deep frying pan for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the fresh basil leaves to the noodles and stir to mix well.
- Add pine nuts and cherry tomatoes. Salt and pepper to preference.
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the noodles and serve.
- Top with shaved Parmesan cheese. Garnish with more basil leaves.